Wednesday, June 11, 2008

yes no?

Today is me birthday. They say a year older, a year wiser. yes no? my answer would be : i don't know.

What i do know is, 18 was definitely a good year for me. The big ONE-EIGHT is most notoriously known as the coming of age for most. Couldn't be more true for me. But not in the same sense as i probably think many of you readers would think. The normal Just Legal activities have long been ventured due to my more liberal family.

So, on this auspicious day, I'd like to share with you what 18 year old Myra have learned and lived that the 17 year old self and before didn't know. (well, the ones that I can think of at the moment)

  1. It is okay to be just myself. A huge part of myself have been served to please others. I may seem independent and self reliant. Truth is, the things I do are to gain acceptance by my peers. And in my path in doing so, I lost myself
  2. Having fun is not a crime. In the past, there was always something ahead of me that I wanted to grasp. I keep pushing and pushing myself and for what? I've learned now to live in the present and enjoy the moment.
  3. Everyone has opinions of me. None that matters more than what I think of myself. Referring back to my point No.1, it is healthy to hear what others say but not to take it to heart and let it dictate my life.
  4. Open up and other people will embrace you with open arms. Alas, I'm still stigmatised as the cold bitch upon first meeting someone new. If I put my insecurities aside, other people will start seeing how different I am. Everybody have insecurities.
  5. My family is there for me if I only let them be. I've never considered myself a family kinda girl. This may be due to me being highly independent at such an early age. Needing a family does not mean you are weak. It means that you are lucky enough to feel a family's love.
  6. A true friend transcends time and distance. It is not the amount of time you spent with each other that measures the friendship, it's the way you make every second count with the little time you have with each other.
  7. Letting go, though it's hard to do, will come eventually. Only when you let go of the past will your future come.

Aite, this is all that I can think of at the moment. And this is the closest to emotional bla bla that I will post. It's my birthday, so I deserve some lee-way.

Let's hope this year will be as meaningful and enlightening as the last.

Oooze out 18,
Here comes 19.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'l sing for u when i call u. soon enuf.

Amira Najua Sa'abana said...

muahx. thanks for the song, bayb. walaupun out of pitch. hahaha. Pegi blaja nyanyi ngan Lord Almighty la!