Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Gender Lines

Today, as i was enjoying my lunch in the lush dining hall of KYUEM, I was struck by what my peers told me. The conversation started roughly like this.

Aisyah : Myra, did you line up at the boy's line?
Myra : Umm, yeah. Why?
Nadirah : Ooo..scary.
Myra : *looks utterly confuse. As far as I know, there is no rule not permitting me to do so nor is it abnormal. The line was shorter, hence logic overrule my thinking*
Aisyah : Didn't you know. That guy wrote in his blog about girls queuing up in the boys line. He even took a picture of it.


My initial reaction was of course just as any of those on the table. WTF? So, before any rash words or writings comes out from my sometimes incontrollable self, I decided to give the article a read here.

Now that I have read his side, I shall proceed

I understand the need to be respectful especially in front of our everyday rezeki which is our food. Hence, the matter of girls and boys behaving less than adequate which includes jostling and squeezing amongst each other for our food is not appreciated.

However, I feel the need to ask. Is it because of the integration of genders that causes such behaviour from the students? If there was a single line of male and one of female,would not there be the same amount of pushing around to get your meal which ultimately leads to the same agenda?

In the days of our Prophet, the men in the family came first. In the Victorian era, ladies was the priority when chivalry was not yet dead.Now that we are in the 21st century, gender lines are not as clear as before. Therefore, it is not a matter of who goes first. What we learn from the past was that we had sound respect for others.

If you have not see what I'm trying to convey, let me sculpt it for you. Be it man or woman, if that person has been waiting a considerable amount of time waiting to get his/her food, it is only courtesy for you to move on with the line. If everybody practice this in an orderly manner, there should be no problem that has been hastily brought up before.

I have had my fair share of lining up in the supposedly 'male' and 'female' line. Trust me, in both lines, there is an equal fight to get the nicer makcik or in trying to get the better piece of chicken. However, we don't live in an idealistic world. Therefore my mechanism of instilling integrity and respect among students might seem far fetched. But, by segregating only serves to ignore the problem rather than taking steps to improve the mentality of Malaysian students, whom let me remind you would be living in the UK in the coming years. See, if there are separate lines there?

I do not condemn what the writer has written for as what is stated, his words are private, therefore is a summation of his opinions. What i wrote, is what I think and reflects my morals. If I should say what he did, which makes us girls look like hungry vultures and totally ignoring the fact that boys do join the 'girls' line,was wrong, it would be the same as me agreeing to Raja Petra being detain by the ISA.

So, I'll see you at dinner. And if the girl's line is long, you know where I'll be.

*should the writer of the article that i have linked above wish for me to remove it, please leave a msg.*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is portrayed in their own narrow state of mind should not be used to condemn others in their community. selfishness.petty issues such as these should not even be brought up.

yea sure.. ten years from now his life is soo gonna be affected by this issue. thats how big it is to him. geez, grow up man...

Amira Najua Sa'abana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.