Saturday, June 14, 2008

Quest For Knowledge

The end of Econs paper 3 just now marks the end of my academic journey in KYUEM. I thought it would only be appropriate to recap what I have gone through. Could be good for any future A-Level takers.

So, these are the subjects I took, in no particular order.

LAN subjects
I start with the lamest most unnecessary subject. Compromising of Malaysian Studies, Islamic Studies and ICT(information communication technology <----????something like that). I attend class, plug in my iPod, and do my homework for my other classes. If it's a morning class, uurmm, I don't think u'll find me there. The only reason i go to ICT : to log on the net, Msian Stds : borak with G, Islamic Stds : steal Nabeel's yummy gummy bears.

IELTS
Another unnecessary class if you already have a good command in English. My advice for you peeps in KYUEM. Just take the IELTS exam so you can drop the class. The test is not that hard anyway. But Ms Rena class was fun on some days. When we have movie days or when discussing interesting topics.

Thinking Skills
Another one taught by the delightful Ms Rena. Hmm.. nothing much I can say about it. If you got it, it'll be a snap. If you don't, you have to work harder at it than others. It will be much easier for students who have a good proficiency in English because the language part can be tricky. The maths part is just thinking thinking kinda stuff. Again, the words in the maths questions could trap you. Shouldn't be too hard on most students. I enjoyed the subject tremendously.

Mathematics
Consisting of pure and applied. I'll just combine them cause these classes I don't remember anything much of. Due to lenient Mr. Mahadzir and couldnt care less Mr. Hamdan, I was not there for the most part of class. Just make sure before A-Levels, don't be going to a Black Eyed Peas concert, cause you will be in trouble. Hence the B that I got and the reason I have to re-sit. Which brings me back to 2 conversation I had with 2 different nameless friend of mine.
Friend A
talking about Further Maths
" You got a B for Maths. Tak rasa moral down ke nak amik Further Maths?"
Friend B
After a super duper hard Maths P3 paper last week
" Oh my God! I cannot get a B for Maths. WHO gets a B for Maths?!?!"

However, I don't let petty things bother me anymore.

Futher Pure Maths
Also referred to as Dr. Bano's class. Her ability to make you cringe at her very sight crowns her class as 'The Only Class I Never Skip For No Reason'. Her very intelligent mind makes mine seem far inferior in comparison which leaves me dumbfounded in class most of the time. (Also because of her thick Indian accent). But just as I am about to think that I am a mere wallpaper in her class and able to sneak unnoticed, she suddenly goes "Amira, are you okay?[in very very thick Indian accent]" . I think the big question mark on my face gave it away. BUT, don't let her fierce demeanour fool you. Behind all that she is a caring teacher who would always take time to help you. Anyway, on the subject matter itself, Further Pure is very technical and requires high level of understanding the workings of Mathematics. Not one of my favourite subject because to me, it is too boring and bland. Classes in the cafe were always good substitutes though!

Further Applied Maths
Everybody's favourite teacher, Mr. Alderson or lovingly known as Mr. Aldie. Extremely important class, for every class is vital due to the very demanding subject. The times that I did 'overslept', Mr. Aldie makes me feel guilty just by looking at me. He never says a word, but I have already made a vow not to miss class(which of course didn't last very long). He is by far, one of the smartest and most passionate person I have ever met. I feel extremely lucky to have him as my lecturer. For a really tough subject, he delivers it very well and if any of us did badly, it was all because of our own doings, never his. Applied Maths itself compromise of Mechanics and Statistics. Statistics are generally viewed as easier but not to be confused as easy.To cut it short, I hate Statistics but am probably gonna see more of it in the coming years. And the irony of it all, I simply enjoy Mechanics! I was actually really sad after my Applied Paper because I would not be learning it any more. Which reminds me of anther conversation i had with Mr. Aldie.

"What will you be doing in university Amira"
"Economics,sir"
"aaaah..So you definitely won't be seeing Mechanics again. It's a pity, you're actually very good at it"

Please allow me some bragging rights.

Economics
Finally, the subject that should matter the most. It started on the rocky side maybe because at first I didn't take a liking of my lecturer. But somewhere around my final sem, I start to feel that I am finally starting to embrace it and have thankfully chosen the right subject for my degree. Miss Zai makes a commended effort in teaching us its content. For the loose ends, she makes it up with diligence and perseverance. Due to her being my tutor and also me having a close relationship with her, I might be biased. But, if those who attended her last few weeks of classes (which many didn't, but I did. Yay for me!), you would find how very useful those classes were for the A-Levels. Economics are not to be taken as an easy A subject as many science-students perceive. It takes hard work and a lot of applying it in the real world. Reading articles outside of the textbooks actually made it much easier for me to understand the concepts besides making it more interesting. However, I could only do this after I finish the syllabus because only then did I understand the whole picture. I look forward to learning it at greater depth in university.

All in all, I think it was a great experience learning in KYUEM. Kudos would have to be given to my lecturers. Without you, we would still have a mind, but what use is a mind that is not sharpen.

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years. ~Jacques Barzu


Someday, I'll make you proud.


No comments: