Saturday, September 6, 2008

la la la lie


Here, people talk a lot about being racist. And if you talk a lot about it, it most probably means you'r facing it in your community.

Personally, I grew up having friends who are Malay, Chinese and Indian alike. I never actually knew that there was a barrier. But what do kids with boogey running down your nose at that age knows right?

In KYS, 90 % were Malays and it was then, when I meet people from outside the school, I felt like.
'Oh, he's Chinese and she's Indian. We have different culture, so we couldn't survive living with each other'
Well, let's ignore the fact my best friend is a Chinese (shout out to WJ!). She's half Malay anyway, cause the part Malay she have inside of her is Amira Najua. >.<

And then...I got into KYUEM where although again the majority is Malay, but because I mixed with the non-malay community more, I didn't feel that way. So, I realize that there wasn't any line between the different races.

Do you see the pattern here? Where you are determines the kind of thinking you have.

And now that I am here in the US, for the first time, I am a minority. And it stinks! Not just that, people here have their own issues with the different coloured people already in the country and in comes this brown girl from Malaysia (is that the country next to Russia? <----true story here).

Diversity Schmurversity.

It takes way more than saying you are a diverse community to actually BE a diverse community.

I'm crapping and not making sense. My legs are sore from climbing the hills and trying not be the brown girl who's attempting hiphop at dance practice.

ooze out peeps.
I hope Malaysia is treating you well as she always had to me.

oooOOoo..highly unlikely you'll be reading this. Uncle Sathia, you are my guardian angel. You won't find a man with a bigger heart.

No comments: